There’s a lot on your mind when you’re pregnant. It’s a tiring time and often an anxious time. Your body is going through significant change, and soon your life will be too. In preparing for a new bub to arrive, the last thing you need is pain holding you back! Pregnancy Massage delivers relief from muscular pain, and allows you to get on with the important nesting (and resting!) work you have ahead of you.
Gift certificates are also a popular choice, perfect for birthdays, baby showers or for a work colleague going on maternity leave. For your convenience, instant email gift certificates are available 24/7. Choose a dollar amount, a package or single service. All the options can be viewed on the infant gift certificate screen. click here to buy an instant gift certificate online today.
If you’ve already made up your mind and would like to make an appointment, simply book online to lock in your preferred time.
Choosing a Pregnancy Massage Specialist
Pregnancy Massage is a specialised area of massage therapy. When deciding on a practitioner,qualifications and experience in this area of massage are just as important as location and availability.
Catherine is a certified pregnancy massage therapist, with the firm foundation of remedial massage and has also trained as a Nurturelife pregnancy massage practitioner. These qualifications combined with her experience in practising pregnancy massage are a rare find and a testament to her passion for this niche area of massage. Catherine’s work with pregnant women over the years has given her experience across a wide range of conditions. She takes special consideration with each patient’s unique circumstances.
You can feel comfortable in calling Catherine prior to making a booking in order to discuss how the massage is conducted, the safety aspects (understand why side lying and semi reclining are important), her experience with certain conditions and any other points you would like to clarify. Catherine is available to answer your questions (big and small). Just give her a call.
Benefits of Pregnancy Massage
Regular treatment will enable greater access to the benefits, which are real and significant for both mum-to-be and bub. Research supports the testimonials of my patients, and confirms that the benefits of regular pregnancy massage extend well beyond relief from muscular tension. When you book a regular massage, you can expect relief from swelling of feet and hands, easing of tension headaches, improved circulation, better quality sleep, relief from lower back and neck pain and reduced stress and anxiety levels.
What the research tells us
Pregnancy massage is a well-researched area of health, with significant benefits. Here’s what researchers have to say:
- Improved Quality of Sleep for the Mum to Be – massage increases the production of serotonin and melatonin which regulate our sleep rhythms, thus producing positive effects on sleep quality. (Field, T., et al, 1999)
- Reduced Stress & Anxiety – massage reduces the stress hormone cortisol, and at the same time it increases the feel good hormones that improve mood, immunity, vitality and also decrease pain levels. (Field, T. & Diego, M., 2008)
- Reduced Swelling – swelling of the feet, and to a lesser extent the hands, is quite common during pregnancy. Massage encourages the movement and redistribution of fluid that has pooled in the extremities, reducing associated tightness and pain. (Cobin, A., Sirin, A., 2010)
- Lower Stress Hormones in Baby – research shows that mothers suffering with depression that received massage throughout their pregnancy had babies with cortisol levels lower than those that didn’t receive massage throughout their pregnancy. (Field, T., et al, 2005)
- Relief of Muscular Pain and Cramping – massage relieves muscular tension & reduces motor neuron activity which can help calm leg cramps, for example. Massage also assists with neck & shoulder pain, tension headaches, lower back pain or discomfort. (Weerapong, P., Hume, P.A., Kolt, G.S., 2005)
- Decreased Likelihood of Premature Birth – mums that received massage regularly were less likely to have a premature birth than those that did not receive massage at all. (Field, T., 2010)
“Catherine’s help each fortnight from 26 weeks kept me going! I can’t thank her enough for working through my lower back pain and niggly discomforts. Second time around, my back held up right to the end and my kankles stayed under control, even though I was on my feet all day with a toddler in the house! Eternally grateful for her help.”
MJ, Mt Gravatt
Are you ready to feel relief?
If you are experiencing a normal pregnancy in accordance with your perinatal care provider (eg Obstetrician, Midwife), go ahead and secure an appointment now, Catherine would love to help you.
If you have experienced any spotting, bleeding, abdominal cramping, had an Amnionic Fluid Test within the last 3 weeks, or have other high risk conditions, please check with your Obstetrician or perinatal care provider to ensure massage is safe for you and your baby at this time.
Remedial Pregnancy Massage Prices
60 mins $110
90 mins $160
Health fund rebates available